Why are these super, gooey brownies called ‘cheeky monkey brownies’, I hear you ask? Well, that’s because I use a banana-flavoured, chocolate sauce in place of melted chocolate!
If you’ve never heard of Sweet Freedom choc shot, you’re missing out. Sweet Freedom is an all-natural chocolate sauce: no preservatives or additives; no chemical processing. It’s made using natural fruit sugars and carob and it is so versatile! They have all kinds of flavours: banana, coconut, spiced orange… If you fancy trying them, you can easily get hold of them on Amazon and in most supermarkets.
If you don’t fancy banana, try one of the other flavours. You can also substitute the chocolate sauce for 100g of melted dark chocolate and the recipe will work just the same.
So, go on… Give them a try!
Cheeky Monkey Brownies
- 100 g Sweet Freedom Chocolate Sauce Banana flavoured
- 175 g butter unsalted
- 3 medium eggs
- 250 g light brown sugar
- 75 g plain flour
- 1 tbsp honey optional
- Preheat the oven to 180°c and line a 9” square tin with baking parchment.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter then add in the chocolate sauce, stirring until the mixture is a fully combined to form an even glossier chocolate sauce. Leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, beat together your eggs and sugar in a stand mixer (a hand-held mixers or plain old whisk will work too!) for 2-3 minutes, until light and airy.
- While still beating the eggs and sugar, slowly pour in your cooled, buttery-chocolate mixture.
- Turn off your mixer, and fold in your flour until just incorporated. Here is where you would also add in the tablespoon of honey, if you wish. I find it helps to make the brownies extra gooey without making them super sweet. You could even use golden syrup!
- Pour the batter into your lined tin, and bake on the middle shelf for 30 minutes.
- Don’t worry if the brownies puff up a bit, that’s the egg; so long as they’re still a bit wobbly in the middle, they’ll sink down into their deliciously, gooey state.
- Leave to fully cool before cutting into 9 squares. Serve with vanilla ice cream or, if you fancy that banoffee flavour, go all out and have caramel ice cream instead!